MANDATE PER REPUBLIC ACT NO. 9717:
AN ACT CONVERTING THE CAMARINES SUR STATE AGRICULTURAL COLLEGE IN THE MUNICIPALITY OF PILI, PROVINCE OF CAMARINES SUR INTO A STATE UNIVERSITY TO BE KNOWN AS THE CENTRAL BICOL STATE UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE AND APPROPRIATING FUND THEREOF
The University shall primarily provide both advanced instruction and research in agriculture and allied technological sciences including education, arts and related sciences. It shall also undertake extension and development programs, and provide the necessary instructional and research leadership in agricultural, environmental and technological development in the Bicol Region.
Excellence in Agriculture and Industrial Technology
- Produce graduates who are morally strong and technically competent in mobilizing resources through science, technology and entrepreneur-oriented programs
- Develop and deliver technology to rural and urban areas to spur a higher level of productivity; and
- Serve ultimately as an active resource and key instrument in agro-industrial development.
Powers and Duties of the Board of Regents.
The Board shall have the following specific powers and duties, in addition to its general powers of administration and the exercise of all the powers granted to the board of directors of a corporation under existing laws:
- To promulgate rules and regulations as may be necessary to carry out the purposes and functions of the University;
- To receive and appropriate all sums as may be provided for the support of the University in the manner it may determine in its discretion, in order to carry out the purpose and functions of the University;
- To import duty-free economic, technical and cultural books and/or publications, upon certification by the CHED that such imported books and/or publications are for economic, technical, vocational, scientific, philosophical, historical or cultural purposes, in accordance with the provisions of the Tariff and Customs Code of the Philippines, as amended;
- To receive in trust legacies, gifts and donations of real and personal properties of all kinds and to administer and dispose of the same when necessary for the benefit of the University, and subject to the limitations, directions and instructions of the donor, if any.
- To fix the tuition fees and other necessary school charges such as, but not limited to, matriculation fees, graduation fees and laboratory fees, as the Board may deem proper to impose, after due consultations with the involved sectors.
- To adopt and implement a socialized scheme of tuition and school fees for greater access to poor but deserving students;
- To authorize the construction or repair of its buildings, machinery, equipment and other facilities, and the purchase and acquisition of real property, including necessary supplies, materials and equipment;
- To appoint upon recommendation of the President of the University, Vice Presidents, deans, directors, heads of campuses, faculty members, and other officials and employees of the University;
- To fix and adjust salaries of faculty members and administrative officials and employees, subject to the provisions of the Revised Compensations and Position Classification System and other pertinent budget and compensation laws governing hours of service and such other duties and conditions as it may deem proper; to grant them, at its discretion, leave of absence under such regulations as it may promulgate, any provisions of existing law to the contrary notwithstanding; and to remove them for cause in accordance with the requirements of due process of law;
- To approve the curricula, instructional programs and rules of discipline drawn by the Administrative and Academic Councils herein provided;
- To set policies on admission and graduation of students;
- To award honorary degrees upon persons in recognition of their outstanding contribution in the fields of education, public service, arts, science and technology, agriculture or in any field of specialization within the academic competence of the University; and to authorize the awarding of certificates of completion of non-degree and nontraditional courses;
- To establish and absorb non-chartered tertiary institutions within the Province of Camarines Sur as branches and centers in coordination with the CHED, and in consultation with the Department of Budget and Management (DBM), and to offer therein programs or courses, to promote and carry out equal access to educational opportunities as mandated by the Constitution;
- To establish research and extension centers of the University where such will promote the development of the latter;
- To establish professional chairs in the University and to provide fellowships for qualified faculty members and scholarships to deserving students;
- To delegate any of its powers and duties provided hereinabove to the President and/or officials of the University as it may deem appropriate, so as to expedite the administration of the affairs of the University;
- To authorize an external management audit of the University, to be financed by the CHED subject to the rules and regulations of the Commission on Audit (COA); and to institute reforms, including academic and structural changes, on the basis of the audit results and recommendation;
- To collaborate with other governing boards of the state colleges and universities within the Province of Camarines Sur or the Bicol Region, under the supervision of the CHED and in consultation with the DBM, and work towards the restructuring of the University to become more efficient, relevant, productive and competitive;
- To enter into joint ventures with business and industry for the profitable development and management of the economic assets of the University, the proceeds from which shall be used for the development and strengthening of the University;
- To develop consortia and other economic forms of linkages with local government units, institutions and agencies, both public and private, local and foreign, in the furtherance of the purposes and objectives of the University;
- To develop academic arrangements for institutional capability building with appropriate institutions and agencies, public and private, local and foreign, and to appoint experts/specialists as consultants, part-time or visiting or exchange professors, scholars or researchers, as the case may be;
- To set up the adoption of modern and innovative modes of transmitting knowledge such as the use of information technology, the dual learning system, open or distance education and community laboratory for the promotion of greater access to education;
- To establish policy guidelines and procedures for participative decision-making and transparency within the University;
- To privatize, where most advantageous to the University, management of non-academic services such as health, food, building or grounds or property maintenance and such other similar activities; and
- To extend the term of the President of the University beyond the age of retirement but not beyond the age of seventy (70) whose performance has been unanimously rated by the Board as outstanding based on the guidelines, qualifications and/or standards set by the Board, after unanimous recommendation by the search committee.